SCTIMST-TIMed is a not-for-profit registered society in India promoted by Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology (www.sctimst.ac.in) in 2015
for encouraging innovation and entrepreneurship in medical technologies through technology business incubation support to innovators, start-ups and industry. It is located within the Biomedical Technology Wing campus of SCTIMST at Trivandrum. It is financially supported by the Kerala State Industrial Development Corporation (KSIDC) and Department of Science & Technology (DST), Government of India .
TIMed enjoys the legacy of over three decades of rich experience and expertise of Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology (SCTIMST)
in medical device development and commercialisation. SCTIMST is one of India’s finest medical & scientific research institutions with a track record of successfully developing medical devices meeting international standards and making it available to patients at an affordable cost.
More detailed information about the three key institutions supporting TIMed can be found here:
- Mechanical Heart Valve (TTK Chitra Heart Valve)
- Over 100,000 valves successfully implanted, an incredible achievement and world’s most affordable mechanical valve
- Blood Bags
- Technology transfer led to establishment of two of world’s largest manufactures in the world- namely Terumo Penpol, Trivandrum and HLL Lifecare, Trivandrum. These companies now sell over 70 million blood bags globally every year! These products must meet stringent quality standards. SCTIMST continues to provide testing support to the companies.
- Blood Oxygenators, Cardiotomy reservoirs, Hemoconcentrator,
- used in open heart surgery and Concentric Needle Electrode which have been commercialised successfully under SPICTRA brand by SIDD Lifesciences
- Implantable Hydrocephalus Shunt System
- a neurosurgical implant commercialised by HLL Lifecare under brand name CEREDRAIN
- Dental Composites
- India’s first and perhaps only indigenously developed dental restorative composites and bonding agent which is made and sold under the brand name RESTOFILL by Anabond Stedman Pharma ltd
- A range of Bioceramic products
- based on hydroxyapatite (HA) and HA-Bioglass composite platform technologies in various compositions, porosity, shape and size for different applications in dentistry and orthopaedics. The know how has been transferred to several companies such as Basic Healthcare Products Pvt ltd and IFGL Refractories and made available under brand names- B-OSTIN and HA-New etc
- Hormone releasing Intra Uternine Device ( IUD)
- a device for contraception as well as for treatment of dysfunctional bleeding in women, was jointly developed with the sponsoring industry M/s HLL Lifecare ltd. The company has successfully launched the IUD with brand name EMILY.